Please contact your computer administrator. Urgent.

Ζητήστε ή προσφέρετε βοήθεια.
margaret

Please contact your computer administrator. Urgent.

Δημοσίευση από margaret » 16 Ιαν 2011, 09:56

Hey everyone,

Just in case you're all getting bored, here is my next problem. I had everything working fine and removed a couple of things (Empathy, Evolution, media-player-info) using Synaptic to free up some space on my 901 4GB SSD which was full. Then some Updates kept coming from Ubuntu and I made the mistake and downloaded and installed them. There was no warning about Low Disk Space. Then it said 'Restart to finish...' so I did. Now I get the log-in screen and a message;

The configuration defaults for GNOME power manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator.

And I cannot log in!!!  So can someone please help me out again  :'(

Άβαταρ μέλους
alx
Distro: Fedora, Gentoo

Re: Please contact your computer administrator. Urgent.

Δημοσίευση από alx » 16 Ιαν 2011, 15:00

Check out these two threads:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=226569
http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showt ... ?t=1460919

It would seem that this message has something to do with the amount of free space and/or /tmp folder, but not actually with Gnome Power Manager itself.

When you get to the login prompt, switch to another virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2) and run

Κώδικας: Επιλογή όλων

sudo apt-get clean
reboot and see how that goes. If you're still having trouble, try booting off a liveCD to verify that there is adequate free space on your partitions and if not, try thinning the installation down by removing non-essential files, such as large log files in var/log and things in /tmp.

margaret

Δημοσίευση από margaret » 16 Ιαν 2011, 18:09

Thanks alx. Really appreciate your help. Doing that worked fine I managed to log in. Now I have the warning 'The volume "Filesystem root" has only 51.6 MB disk space remaining.

don't think this Ubuntu 10.04 NBR was made for the eee901 as the SSD is only 4GB. Maybe I should go back to another OS. But I need to find one that works with RaLink wireless card. I've got it working fine now with this system so if only I can free up some space.

Do you know what I can remove to get more space? Sorry. Just read your advice. How do I remove large log files in var/log and things in /tmp?
Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το μέλος margaret την 16 Ιαν 2011, 18:30, έχει επεξεργασθεί 1 φορά συνολικά.

Άβαταρ μέλους
alx
Distro: Fedora, Gentoo

Δημοσίευση από alx » 17 Ιαν 2011, 05:10

Well, I'm not an Ubuntu user, so I can't help you with all of the specifics, but you could try some or all of the following:
  • Browse through the "Applications" menu and remove what isn't needed.
  • If you are not handicapped in any way, you can safely remove all assistive technologies.
  • Remove support for hardware that you do not own/intend to use such as CUPS, bluetooth utilities, HP printer and scanner drivers etc.
  • Check the current kernel version (uname -r) and remove all others, if it is working OK. To find out which versions are installed, you can run "ls -alh /boot" to see the versions of installed kernels and use the corresponding version numbers in synaptic to uninstall older ones. After you've removed them, check to see if there are any remnants of the old kernels in /var/lib/modules/ and /usr/src/. Unless I am mistaken, recent versions of Ubuntu come with a "Computer Janitor" utility that can perform *some* of these tasks. Use it and see how far that gets you.
  • Configure the logrotate utility to daily rotate and compress system logs and keep three or four days' worth of backlogs on the system.
  • Purge or at least move the package manager's cache to the SD card (I do not know how this can be done in Ubuntu).
  • If you keep an SD card plugged in at all times, you can relocate your /var, /tmp and /home folders there.
  • Shrink, relocate to the SD card or completely remove the swap partition and tune the kernel "swappiness" parameter accordingly.
I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I will get back to you if I do.

margaret

Δημοσίευση από margaret » 17 Ιαν 2011, 10:16

Wow, thanks, that's really helpful. I have already removed all the Assistive Technologies stuff along with Empathy and Evolution. I use my HP printer with this netbook so I think I'll leave that. I'll go through Synaptic and see what else I don't use.Things like f-spot photo manager. If I want them in the future I can always get them back. I'll get on to  it today.

By the way, sudo apt-get clean does nothing. I used sudo apt-get autoclean finally.

Άβαταρ μέλους
IrDA
Distro: Debian Testing
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από IrDA » 20 Ιαν 2011, 10:55

Margaret apt-get clean, clears out the local repository completely while apt-get autoclean clears only those packages that can no longer be downloaded.

margaret

Δημοσίευση από margaret » 20 Ιαν 2011, 22:28

So why doesn't it work?? ??? 

Άβαταρ μέλους
IrDA
Distro: Debian Testing
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από IrDA » 22 Ιαν 2011, 12:22

When you say it doesn't work what exactly do you mean. You run it and it does nothing ?

Απάντηση

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτήν τη Δ. Συζήτηση: Δεν υπάρχουν εγγεγραμμένα μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης